Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Yi, Er, San, Si... (Courtney)

As Marcus mentions below, today was April Fool's Day. Sadly my classes were no where near as inventive as Marcus'. One class got into the spirit, even if it was misguided. I think they thought it was try to inflict pain on each other day...as 40 minutes was spent attempting to throw things around the classroom without the teacher noticing. Uh..guys, if you don't want me to notice, then don't throw things at the blackboard!!! One boy did have tadpoles in his water bottle which I'm sure had a purpose for one of their classes. You have to give it to Marcus' class though for somehow getting their hands on a turtle!

Yesterday at the junior campus we took some snaps of the gardens and lake. Whilst this school is much older and more rundown, the gardens are quite pretty, especially now that spring has arrived. Well, it claims to have arrived, but going by the 12 degree temperatures, spring is kinda letting us down on its end of the deal! When I got into my second class, all the kids sat down to do their eye exercises. This is my favourite part of the day, as 55 kids all sit there quietly poking and proding their faces. It is funny stuff to watch. As I was watching them I realised - I've got the camera!! So I like to think I've topped Marcus' ninja photo skills with this one, as I whipped out the camera and put it onto video mode.

There are some sounds and smells in a country that will stay with you forever. Of my time in Barcelona, the most vivid memory I have is of guys selling things on the beach. They would walk up and down yelling "Aqua, fanta, coca cola, coca cola light, beer - very cold beer my friend, patata..." and so on. It's one of those things that you always remember. Well, eye exercises will be another for me. The music and words will never leave me, occassionally I find myself humming the tune as I wander around. So I wanted you all to share with us eye exercise time...enjoy the video!



yi, er, san, si, wu, liu, qi, ba!
(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 for the uninitiated)

The original golden apple...could do with a polish.

The lake running through the school is quite beautiful. It has this quaint little pagoda and zig zag bridge.



Taken from the pagoda looking back the other way.

The lake is absolutely brimming with goldfish! I sometimes wonder how they all have room to move..

Lastly, we are sitting in the office between classes when I notice this coffee mug. I look at the pig and think, hmm, that pig looks really familiar. I figure I'm just losing it. Until I turn to my right....

Oh yeah! That's right, I also sit next to the pig...

3 comments:

matt said...

Gidday,
So, I was putting up a blog on a visit my Girlfriend and I did to Nanchang Temple a while ago and I was googling the place for spelling and came across your blog. Crikey, you're a fair bit more prolific then we are but if you want to check it out, it's at www.china2008.webset.co.nz, turns out we're doing pretty similar things.

Oh, and if you'd like to catch up for a drink sometime, my number is 1505 2103 372.

Cheers,
Matt

Anonymous said...

Why oh why can not see the video of what l can only assume are very funny eye things. I am sure l could adopt these techiniques and pass them onto the rest of NAB - good excercise for computer peeps!!!

Simone

Marcus and Courtney said...

Hi Matt,

Thanks for leaving the comment. We'll definately give you a buzz to meet up - we are craving some outside of school company! I just checked out your blog, I feel like we are living the same life...which is a little odd but comforting! And you have your very own Mr Pan, here we were thinking we were special!

Talk soon,
Courtney