Thursday, April 17, 2008

Back into the swing of things (Marcus)

This week has been all about getting back into the swing of teaching after what was a fairly long break - thanks to my good ol friend sickness. Back home when working for Pacific, I used to think how good it would be getting hit really hard by something nasty, getting plenty of those rancho relaxo sickness sleep'ins and the like but well, the reality is that when you're actually sick as a dog, it's not remotely enjoyable. The copious amounts of rest you get don't really count - particularly when you spend almost every night of the week tortuously trying to get to sleep at night, but spend the majority of your time counting down the hours. I felt so awful that I was actually wishing I was well enough to teach. I usually avoid most colds, flu's, viruses etc etc, and back home I don't usually have sick days other than the odd one or two - but here it's all the fun of the fair with the foreign viruses floating around.

It seems that the month of Spring in China is about as typical as the season as you would get anywhere in the world. All those things you'd expect to see in Spring are here - except maybe some frolicking baby deer. The flowers are out in force. The tree's are leafy once more and bushes that were a dark almost browny green have almost completely shed their deadish look and are bursting with brilliant light green and yellows. Likewise the weather is all over the place. I don't think Spring has ever felt so truly seasonal back in Australia. One day it's cold, then warm, then cold. Windy, calm, hot, cold, all over the shop. You'll get a week of mild almost cold weather and then it will rain - and when it rains, it rains. It will absolutely dump down for like a day straight, then stop! I really like the Spring here. I think everything feels fresh and green and new - something that doesn't feel so significant back home. If the pollution would blow away it would be really lovely here, but sadly that's not going to happen anytime soon.


Out front of our apartment, the tree's are filled to the brim with these lovely pink flowers.

Over the last few days we have noticed an absolute heap of very large fish in the lake sitting there with their heads sticking out of the water - almost gasping for air. These were large..I don't know - carp or something similar - definitely not the gold fish variety of which there are also hundreds. I stopped for a while, watching them. I knew there were some large fish in the lake but I had never seen these type before - let alone doing what they were doing.

Today the gardeners had dragged out their big hoses and were shooting water into the lake - almost as if they were filling it up. They couldn't be filling it up..I said to Courtney. With the amount of water that is in the lake, they would need to leave the hoses on day and night for a month and it would still probably only raise the waters depth an inch if that - and there has been quite heavy rain lately.

We were walking back this afternoon from collecting the print-out for next weeks Senior Lessons - a Lesson based around Yesterday by the beatles(Yeah I think we just turned the corner for cliche ESL teaching) - and a nice woman came and introduced herself to us. Turns out she was one of the English teachers who used to teach Junior, but now teaches what sounds like some kind of elective course - using Animation or somesuch - at least that's what she said - I don't know exactly what she was referring to. She said her name and I forgot it before she had closed her mouth from saying it.

I have severe difficulty understanding, remembering and more importantly _reproducing_ Chinese names. They are so damned difficult! It makes me feel really uncomfortable as I politely ask someones name, then 2 seconds later I can't remember it. They are all approximately three words and they are the height of difficult pronunciation. They are not like an easy to pronounce Japanese name - like say - Akira Okinawa or something - they're like..(and this isnt the spelling) - say this out loud- Sheung Shue-aye Foong - Ok that's a totally crap example - but say that out loud, try and put a thick Asian accent on it and you might have half of what I have trouble with.

Anyhow - she seemed quite lovely, and asked us all the typical questions - did we like the campus, did we like living there etc etc - all the usual yes, it's very nice - yes living in China is very...interesting - yes, very very different to Australia - very very!

I asked her about the lake and she said they were pumping clean fresh water in there as many fish had died - as i thought...

We saw a couple of gardeners taking a dead one out of it earlier today - we thought they were fishing as they seemed quite jovial and it was quite a nice day today. It seems that the oxygen level in the water has somehow dropped to levels that are basically killing them. I went out to take a photo of the water shooting into the lake earlier this morning - mainly as i thought it amusing that they'd be filling the lake but I noticed a patch of goldfish carp things also acting strange - like the larger carp - heads out of the water, looking like they were trying to get air.

Poor things ... kind of hits a nerve actually as shortly before coming to China we had an er .. incident, in the fish tank at home where well, it was a disaster! But anyway.



I have a feeling that before the week is out, these fish will soon be known as the fish that used to breathe. Then again - looking on the bright side, at least the wild cat that constantly hangs by the lake's banks trying to catch one(never daring to get wet) just MIGHT get lucky! Go cat!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAAAAA why was i not told about your fish accident prior to going away that really pricked my ears and eyes up the blogg became quite jolting to me at this point.You have more dramas with fish than me with boats. NEVER EVER forget that fish of yours swimming on its side lack of water but more than enough oxygen the tank was full of it ha ha ha ha haahhhhh. Mitch still has nightmares over it as well let alone you splashing Eunice in the mouth with that crap fish pond water near Karingal hub. All good stuff tho this blog so keep it up glad you are feeling better. All you sickies were well days off heh. xxx

Marcus and Courtney said...

Yeah well we were laying in bed and talking about Courtney's friend Sarah 's brother who(at the time)had recently bought a new fish tank and a whole bunch of new tropical fish. At that stage our fish were humming along fine - a good little community. One of the battles in keeping African or American cichlid fish is finding a group of them that'll live peacefully together without one or two of them eating the others etc etc.

Anyway Sarah's bro bought this tank and I don't know what the deal was, but he did something wrong and all the fish died. We were talking about that in bed one morning, when I woke up, and christ almighty that very same morning basically ALL but 4 or so of my fish were dead, the other 4 floating all over the place, gasping for air.

See the night before I had filled the tank (because I do that nowadays) but I had filled it too high. The aeration into the tank was via the water coming in from a spray bar along the top. Well stupidly I filled it so high that the water now flowed straight into the tank - no amount of drop at all, so no air.

That night I thought - mmm nice and quiet in here tonight for some reason - not overly realizing it was because the bloody tank had no air going into it - the usual sound of trickling water being present.

The thought did occur to me later that night and I made a mental note to add an actual air hose back into the tank the next day, as I still had the pump and hose right there ready to be used.

Little did I know(and i admit I am still surprised) just how much air the little buggers would need. I thought that with a full tank of what was previously pretty aerated water they would have plenty... WRONG.

So it was one of those fkng situations - talk about someone elses misfortune then voila, it's on your doorstep too.

Regarding flicking that pond water into Nana's face that time - man when i think of that, I cant even fathom what i was thinking - but - it cracks me up all the same. Moreso because you never forget it and bring it up from time to time :)

That other fish with the lack of water we'll just put down to being one of my darker periods of life - so um yeah :)

-Marcus

Anonymous said...

Well glad you explained now I can sleep well tonight. Everytime I see fish I think of you and Kasey was trying to get me to help her put a $200 one on layby the other day but I have a pond outside with enough to satisfy my desires and the biggest mother died last week and that always cuts me up when you lose a fish. Let alone a tankfull. I would not be ordering fish on the menues over there at present very likely to get one in the canteen with a hocked up sauce ala dead for two days and would not put that past them, prob a delicacy been naturally dead for some two to three days.Thanks for explaining it to me.Maybe one day I will help her with a tank but she wants it in her room and you cant move in there as it is, but will not get her to contact you with handy hints at this stage.
xxx

Marcus and Courtney said...

She so can contact me for handy hints thx very much!

What did she want to put on layby, a 200 dollar tank or a 200 dollar fish?

We're not game enough to eat fish here yet anyway. Have had a few bits of some at the two banquets we gotten taken to (only two - we're old news now - not worth impressing) - and it was tasty enough.

Problem with the fish here though is it is super bony. Chinese food is a handful and a half. Nothing is cut into nice little western portions of solid meat like back home.

If you order beef it's got bones all the way through it. Not bones that you can just cut off because like..you don't have a knife. You have to get used to the artform that is plopping it into your mouth, sucking the meat off it then spitting the bone out. Sometimes there's little shards of bone and it bloody hurts if you miss it and bite down on it and it gets your gum.

If you get pork, it's guaranteed to have a bigass chunk of fat attached to it. They love their fat over here. We just cant deal with it. We nibble the little meat off then throw the fat - and it's usually 70% fat, 30% meat - if even that. I had a chunk the other day, the week before I was sick, that had little bit of meat, big chunk of fat - then a layer of what was skin, then some hairs. Yeah I couldn't deal. Didn't go back to the canteen for a few days after that. I just can't eat hairy food. The line is well and truly drawn.

With fish and shrimps and stuff, the chinese mouths are - i don't know what you'd call it - honed perhaps. They slip the boney as hell fish into their mouths, swish it round a bit then spit out nothing but the bones.

They stick a full shrimp in their gob, suck on it, spit out the bad bits. I do not know how the hell they do it. We can't do it. We feel like losers when we have to try and eat that kind of stuff in front of them.

At the first banquet the headmaster is continually heaping little shrimps onto our plate. He's doing the suck, seperate and spit thing, while we're doing the awkward westerners using clunky fingers to try and push out tiny bits of meat thing.

So yeah.

Marcus