Sunday, April 27, 2008

Additional Wedding Observations (Courtney)

So Marcus' post pretty much covered off on the wedding we attended. Here are a couple of extra things which I thought to mention...


The Chinese generally have no dress sense, this is well recognised, and the wedding was no exception. I had spent a lot of time worried as to what to wear, as we hadn't really brought "wedding" clothes with us. I needn't have worried though, as you could basically wear anything. Pretty much everyone was just dressed the same as they are everyday of the week...although I suspect this is because most people probably went back to work after the reception. What did catch my eye was the "bridesmaids". One was dressed in a very lovely dress. The other well....


Yes, that's her on the right, wearing a bright yellow, stripy sweater dress over black jeans. Slightly non traditional wedding gear there...


The men and women basically didn't sit together. Some tables were mixed but a lot were men only or women only. Of the teachers from our school who attended, all sat on tables just of men or women, except of course for me. I was the only female on our table, and I suspect the only female teacher who was offered a drink. I did a couple of toasts with red wine then I swiftly moved onto orange juice, which was a very wise idea. I don't know quite what the male teachers think of me. Whether they expect I will drink because I'm western, or whether deep down they think I'm some sort of brazen hussy because I accept a drink. Who knows, and frankly who cares. Marcus and I were led around a number of times to toast people. First with all of the teachers from our department. Which was embarrassing because we really don't know any of them. Whilst it would have been best if I had been told to sit with the female teachers so I could get to know them, I undoubtably believe that I had more fun on the men's table. We also toasted numerous family members and...the government of wuxi!! Yup, there is Marcus and I with the government people of the town offering toasts. Bizarre.


The women folk didn't even attend with their husbands. Mr Pan's wife didn't come with him or was not driven home by him. Same goes for Raymen's wife and all of the others. Its so different how things work here, it goes without saying that when Marcus and I go to these sorts of things we obviously go together.


Marcus and I were involved in a number of awkward conversations throughout the afternoon. First one being when a couple of teachers asked us what our majors were at university. Aaaahhh...well...I stumbled around and said that Marcus did business and I did art, which they seemed to be satisfied with. Never are they to know that we don't actually have degrees, have no teaching qualifications and yet we still earn double what they do.


Second awkward moment for me was when I was asked by one of the teachers if the wedding reminded me of my own wedding ceremony. Aaaahhh...not really, was my reply. Still waiting for that one more like it. They just cannot understand that Marcus and I aren't married. So I happily refer to Marcus as my husband whenever necessary.


Third was when a tipsy Mr Pan started making a toast to Marcus and I towards the end of the lunch. He was blabbering on about us and how it would be just great if we could have a baby in China..that would just be swell. Oh good lord...We tried to tell him that our families might not be too happy with us.


On the way home Mr Pan tried his best to convince us that he was ok to drive. I don't believe he was, as he had partaken in a number of ganbei's, but the hotel was literally a block away on the same street so we were on the road for about 30 seconds. As we approach the school gate, Raymen jumps out of the car, says his goodbyes and starts walking down the street. We ask Mr Pan, where is he going? He talks with the other man in the car and then replies, "Ah, maybe he has a girlfriend waiting for him."


What the?!?! Firstly Raymen is married and secondly...well, it's just such a wrong thought!! The man drips sleaze..uuugggghhhh!! I can never look at him the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we went to Thailand in November, a girlfriend of mine took her 3 month old baby. Like you guys, he was treated like a celebrity. Everywhere they went, people just wanted to look at him and they would have a group of Thai women following them down the street. They were completely bewildered by this white blob. It really was quite bizarre. Anyhoo, l reckon you should just spit one out and leave it with them to raise in their crazy country. Unfortunately l can't see the videos for some reason, but l will try again at home. Simone

Unknown said...

You know, I've actually signed autographs in class. No joke.
Courtney.