Friday, June 13, 2008

Graduation and....t-shirts (Courtney)

Please note...mammoth post below. Might be time to grab a cuppa...



Yesterday was the graduation ceremony for the Senior 3 students. They finished their exams Monday at 5pm, moved out of the dorms that night, and graduated a couple of days later. On Monday we had lunch with Mr Shen, the principle and we were asking about the graduation. I indicated that I would like to see it, because it's an important part of the whole school process, and also because I thought it might be a great chance to see some school performances.


Well Thursday rolled around and at about 1:30 Raymen called, wanting to know if we were still interested in going. We quickly got ready and met him downstairs, not realising that the ceremony wasn't in the school. Turns out it was next door at a "theatre". We've been curious as hell wanting to know what goes on inside this place as it seems to be a strange combination of theatre, titty bar, gym and driving school. Yes, all rolled into one! Of course we were led to the front row, where else, and other teachers had to move to accomodate us. It was at this point that that sinking feeling started to creep in. Here we were thinking we could just duck in, see some of the ceremony and leave. However, once we were seated in the front row, next to the principle, it became all to obvious that not only were we here for the long haul, but it would only but be a matter of time before we found ourselves on stage!

We ended up staying for just over 3 hours, by which time we were both suffering from extreme headaches due to the noise, heat and lack of water. I can't describe to you the volume of everything, it was getting to that point where only dogs can hear the noise. But all up it was an interesting afternoon. I'm really glad we got to see the kids graduate. It's such an important time for them, and you could really sense the mixed emotions of the day and the bounds that have developed between students and their teachers. It reminded me of the bonds I had with a couple of my teachers. You can see the pride in the teachers, and it made us wish that it had have been our students graduating, we would like to see them reach that point (of course that would involved another 2 years and well, that just ain't gonna happen!) If nothing else, I think we scored some major brownie point from the principle, you could tell that he was stoked that we had chosen to come...and well, participate.


So, the first part of the ceremony was video footage of the kids and their three years at the school. It was actually pretty impressive, and amazing that they seem to have a truckload of footage of all of the kids. They had video of them moving into the dorms, doing their military training, performances, in class, exercise, you name it it had been recorded. Then all of the teachers were filmed saying their farewells...which frankly went forever! Then the performances began. Below are some pics of the kids singing and what not. They must have been so nervous getting up infront of their peers. Some of the performances were good, others were...comical. The best being three groups of students standing in a circle, who all crouched down and another student from the middle burst up and began singing. Fantastic. Like a flower blooming. There was lacklustre singing, out of time clapping, and one poor girl who tried with all her power to get her group waving their arms in the air, but it just didn't take off.





These girls played the traditional instrument to a Jay Chou (ridiculously popular singer here) song, it worked really well, until the girl on the right at the end got up and sang!




Random singing groups.





This is the winner of the school's singing competition. He had a really great voice and had all the moves (eg - he's spent a lot of time watching Jay Chou videos). He looked like a nice kid and we imagine he was popular with the girls at school.





In the middle is Mr Shen, the principle, who I don't think has featured in the blog yet. Note the height difference - the boy on the right isn't all that much taller than me! But what he lacks in height he makes up for in kindness - Mr Shen is a truly lovely, kind man. Did we tell you he bought us clothes during the week?!


So after a couple of performances, each of the classes started coming up to receive their graduating diploma. There is a LOT of kids, so this took quite some time. Whilst this was happening, Raymen lent over and said to me, "How about coming up on stage and giving the kids some words of encouragment?" To which I answered "No". This is what we are always asked - to give some words of encouragement! There have been times where there is literally no words to offer, but at least at a graduation ceremony we could have come up with something. But I begrudge the - oooh, let's get the westerners up on stage...even though we haven't had any interaction with these kids, and we weren't even supposed to be at the ceremony. So I just simply said it wasn't going to happen. So then he leans over and asks Marcus, but this time suggests we go and hand out some diplomas. So Marcus says, well I suppose we can do that, whilst I'm giving him death stare because I've just said no! Granted, I said no to something completely different, but then I felt like I couldn't turn around and say yes. So, off went Marcus and Raymen onto the stage whilst I kicked back and took some photos...







Again, note the height difference. For the most part Marcus and I wander around not feeling all that much different to anyone else. But every now and then you catch yourself against someone else and realise that yes, we are indeed different. And Marcus wonders why the boys behave for him...that's because he towers over them!






Wait a sec! Didn't I say I was kicking back taking photos? Not for long, soon enough I was up their too. I think this is where we would have earnt browning points as Mr Shen was absolutley BEAMING when he saw me up there. Strangely, neither of us feel any fear or nervousness in doing these things. Once upon a time getting up in front of a couple of thousand people would have sent me into a spin, but no longer.

So whilst the kids were being presented with their diplomas, we had a lot of time to check out some of the fashions going on. This is where my post becomes somewhat...shameless shall we say! Look...we had front row seats and we've been wanting to capture some of the t-shirts we see around here, so what better opportunity? Christ only knows what the people sitting behind me thought as I snapped off shot after shot of up close chest shots. So here below, please find a smorgasboard of wonderful fashion...there wont be a lot of captions, the pictures really speak for themselves...


























Our favourite t-shirts to be found - the "boyfriend/girlfriend" t-shirts. We see some many youngsters wearing these. And yes, the boy and girl will walk on the correct side so the arrows point to each other. Oh so cute. All whilst the boys carry the girls handbags. His shirt reads "Falling in Love, She is My Girlfriend." I so want Marcus and I to get some of these shirts and wear them just for the reaction!


Check it out! This whole class had sub groups in matching t-shirts. We saw these girls earlier in the day, who would have known that I would be the lucky one to give them their diplomas?!



Marcus has dubbed this girl Chinese Courtney. Hmm...



Yup, stocking socks with sandles. All the rage round these parts. God they look so ridiculous but all the girls wear them, of all ages. I've no idea why. And yes, I know what you are thinking - hey, it could be socks! Well don't worry, they wear them with their sandles too!


This is Emma, my stalker. Well, she's not really a stalker, she's a nice girl just very very enthusiastic. She chased after me when she saw us leaving. I have to remember to email this photo to her, don't want to crush her spirit!

But the absolute piece de resistance is below. The photo doesn't quite do justice to the SILVER PVC pants this guy was wearing. They and him were just spectacular. Check out the pose, does he think he's it and a bit or what?!


So all in all, just another day at the office! I'll get Marcus to hit you up with a couple of the videos we took of the performances. I would, but trying to upload them makes me want to throw the computer out the window.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hie Courtney, hie Marcus,

Such an impressive and exhaustive blog you've made, so nice!
I've reached it while searching for tips to get my girlfriend and I one of these arrowed "Falling in love this is my girlfriend/boyfriend" Tshirt which we find so cute!
I'm currently in Shanghai (for an internship) and couldn't manage to find a single shop selling it. I might be very bad at finding what i want but, did you eventually get yourselves one and then where? Do you know if it's a special brand or sthg?
Thanks for your help
Very nice "meeting" you,

Faguoren