Thursday, June 26, 2008

Courtney, why does Class 2 have a big horse? (Courtney)

All semester I have had the idea of doing a birthday themed class with the Junior and Gifted kids. As the weeks went on I came to my senses and realised trying to pull this off for 700 odd kids just was not a good idea, so we decided instead just to do it with our Gifted classes.

We've mentioned the gifted classes a lot on this blog. Marcus teaches two classes and I teach one. They are really smart kids, but that isn't what makes these classes enjoyable. What makes us love them is that they are such confident, happy, easy going kids. We can throw anything at them and they willingly do it and enjoy themselves. Our school has this whole gifted department, which I think is quite an experimental education method. Whilst the kids are intelligent, I think the teaching method really pays off. The highlight of my week is Wednesday. I have developed connections with most of these kids, I know their names and little bits about them. It's just a great environment.

So, I had this idea to do a birthday class. Basically a big party, with pass the parcel, pin the tail on the donkey, music, lollies...you name it! Pulling this off with 150 kids was going to be infinately easier than 700! This week is our last week of teaching for the semester (woo hoo!) so we decided that our final gifted classes would be the birthday party. Then we got told on Tuesday that non core subjects have ended for the gifted kids, so we would not be required to teach them. But we pleaded our case and were allowed to teach as normal - who would have thought a couple of months ago we would be begging to teach a class!



So Mr Pan's wife Oolan relayed down to the kids that they would still have their Oral English classes this week as we had something planned. Well Marcus teaches Class 1 on Tuesdays, then Class 2 on Wednesday, then I teach Class 3 after Marcus on Wednesday afternoon. Well, by the time I got to my class they were fully aware that something "special" was going on and I was bombarded with children and questions trying to get into the classroom, I literally had them hanging off me.



Question of the day was started by Skye (I have four Skye's in my class, all male and all spelt differently) who met me outside the building. "Courtney, why do class 2 have a big horse?" Which was obviously the donkey pinned up to the board. The rest of the class were eagerly awaiting me, and I was caught in a maelstrom of 12 year olds all trying to figure out what was going on and what was in my bags. They aren't shy these kids! What's in the bag Courtney? Why do you have a big paper? Ooohhh, big paper! What is it? What are we doing? Why do class 2 have lollies?


Once I got them settled we got down to business and we had a ball! What a blast, the kids were just nuts and by the end of it I was exhausted, absolutely boiling hot, and had a croaky voice. Oolan came in at the end of the class and said to me "I think today they are a little crazy"...ah, yeah, just a touch!


And of course a birthday party wouldn't be complete without at least one lot of tears. Half way through Pin the Tail on the Donkey I noticed one of the Skye's had gone back to his desk. I went over and realised he was crying his little heart out, but for the life of me he would not tell me why. He didn't appear to be hurt so I figured it was because he wasn't getting turn at the donkey. All was soon solved with a lollypop!

So below are some pics from my class. Obviously I think my kiddies are the best, much cuter than Marcus'! I'll let him put up pics of his class so he can regail you with stories.



The beginnings of pass the parcel...


Which soon turned into a nice little pile of pressies.


We decided each class would need their own donkey as they would want to put their names on it after their turn.


Some of the winners of pass the parcel.


Chaos on this side of the room!


Pin the tail on the donkey (or big horse) was a huge success. I lost control of them about 30 seconds in. At this point Westlife was blaring in the background, kids were going nuts and Skye was crying...ah, the joys of being a teacher!


This was as close as I could get to the action and I literally had to fight my way in!


George, with not one but two lollypops on the go at once. By the end of the class he had somehow gotten hold of about 4 lollypops and I have no idea how, even though I was the one holding the bag!


Wendy wanted her photo taken. She's a really sweet kids, and draws me pictures. She's incredibly tall for her age, she turns 13 next week.


I know I shouldn't have favourites but I do. I love all the kids, but these guys...I wish I could bring them home with me. This is Kobe on the left and Jimmy on the right. Kobe looks about 9 years old, he is tiny and has the cutest, squeakiest voice. Jimmy is just the happiest kid you could meet. The look he has on his face is his permanent look. Doesn't matter where you see him, he is just HAPPY! And generally has his pants pulled up under his armpits.


At the end of the class all the kids wanted to say goodbye and ask if I would be teaching them again next semester. I truly hope we are, and we have told the teachers as much. Some of the kids wanted to give me their email addresses, so I have a nice little pile of funny bits of paper and another drawing to add to my collection. The best was Napolean though. Yes you read correctly, in amongst the Bettys, Peter Parkes, King, Outman, Oscar, Ricky, Daffy, Piggy, Shirley, Wendy, Cindy etc, I also have a Napolean. So he comes up to me and just presents me with this....


Just his name, nothing else. I asked him why, to which he replied "So you do not forget me". I said to him "How am I going to forget you when you have the name Napolean!!"


It was with a heavy heart that I walked home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where were the teachers like you when we were at school?

Simone