Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hey there fatty! (Courtney)

Is it just my experience, or do the Chinese think of foreigners as being fat? I really think there is the perception that foreigners on the whole are fast food eating, lazy fatties...regardless of what you actually look like.

The first night we were here, everyone was amazed at how "big and strong" we were, yet we seemed to not eat as much as they expected. This was mentioned the next day again at lunch as the teachers hoed into their lunches whilst we picked away. Marcus and I don't feel particularly huge. Marcus is generally considerably taller than any Chinese man, but not like a giant. For those who don't know me, I am average height and average build, and generally feel like I am of average size in China too. I came here expecting to feel gianormous (as we have the opposite stereotype that all Chinese are tiny) but most of the time I feel pretty normal. Yes, occassionally I see my reflection in the mirror as I stand in line in a bathroom or something and realise I am a good head taller than everyone there, but for the most part I feel normal. There are many girls of the same size as me and there are just as many who are smaller and larger.

But for some reason, I seem to find myself being percieved as this big westerner. The kids in class all think I am tall, and are surprised when I tell them that in Australia I am just normal height. Mostly though, I get this feeling when I am shopping. For some reason, even when I am standing with the shop assistant and she can size me up for herself, I am invariably given clothes that are a good two sizes bigger than me.

I don't understand Chinese clothing sizes and I'm not going to try to explain them. After a number of shopping outings I have pretty much figured out which sizes I need to look out for. Not that anything ever fits anyway, but I live in hope. In a lot of Chinese shops though, you are given overly attentive service - this means you are followed around the shop and as soon as you touch something your size is procurred for you etc etc. What amazes me is the sizes I am given. Without doubt they will be too big, and when I ask for smaller I am given quizzical looks as if to say "surely not?" When I bought a pair of black cropped pants I literally had to beg the assistant to let me try on the smaller size as she just couldn't believe that they would fit me and wouldn't give them to me.

Recently I went to Suzhou with Abby and her sister for a day of shopping. I wanted to try on a pair of shoes but the size on the shelf was one too big for me. So in my vast Chinese I ask the assistant for my size. She looks at my feet, again with that quizzical look. Now, granted I was wearing my birkenstocks, which aren't the daintiest of shoes and make my feet look like those of a gladiator. But I'm pretty sure I know what shoe size I am. She sends the other guy out to find my size. He returns and I put the shoes on. My feet fall out of them. I look at the tag and they are size 40. I asked for 37. I call the girl over again pointing out the 40 and how I wanted a 37. It doesn't matter what you tell them, they will decide whether this is the correct size or not. Needless to say the guy went looking again and never returned. Still don't know where he went.

Months ago I went to the medical clinic around the corner for the first time. This was about 6 weeks after we had arrived, and with all the changes and illnesses I had during those weeks, I had lost about 7kgs. When the nurse asked for my weight she would not write it down. Just plain and simple didn't believe me. Tried to write down that I was 10kgs heavier than I am. Kept asking me to confirm that this was the correct number. Infuriating! She kept looking at me and saying "But the number is too small for you."

I've often wondered whether it's just me that this happens to, or whether all expats experience this. The sizings in China are all over the place so I don't take offence anymore when I have to try on large or x-large pants, but it does intrigue me that I am considered to be this large person. I have plans on going shopping today...wish me luck!

5 comments:

globalvickie said...

we have had similar in Thailand:
I get: (say in loud high pitch female voice with Thai accent) "Heelloooo missss, I have BIG size for you ladieeee! I have extra extra large!".
So embarrassing.
We saw some cool fake adidas on Koh Samui. We tried to ask the saleslady for Drew's size. She took one look at Drew's feet and retreated to the back of her store shaking her head.
The inevitable feet size/man jokes ensued.

Anonymous said...

You buying some funky outfit for an impending wedding back in the land of Oz? Remember my thoughts on Hello Kitty - I see Hello Kitty - you see Goodbye Sitty!!!

Simone

Anonymous said...

nice piece! we have posted it on our website, www.echinacities.com, for more people to share, and would like to talk to you about cooperation. please reply to marketing@echinacities.com, thanks.

Kay Bratt said...

That is hilarously familiar. I moved back home after almost five years of living very close to where you are. My problem is that I am 38 but 5'8" and only 118 lbs. Therefore, I look extremely skinny. But I am NOT as skinny as I look, I have had two children and my hips are deceiving. SO...they always wanted to give me the extra extra small clothes. Sometimes, (I am quite the jokester) I would try the pants on, just to show them how ridiculous it was when I couldn't zip or even pull them up over my hips. And the big shoe thing....I wear an american 8.5, they really gave me a complex about my feet! After five years of them making fun of my big feet, I still find it hard to go shoe shopping, even here! For real!

I love your blog. It is all so familiar.

Kay

Marcus and Courtney said...

Hi Kay,

Yup, it is a little like the twilight zone some days! The staring at the feet always gets us, something we can't understand or get used to. We are off home in a week ourselves and I'm sure we will always look back on our time as being one of the more ridiculous years of our lives!

Thanks for your comments - I'm glad you can relate and have a laugh at it all!
Courtney