Saturday, August 16, 2008

Hello Kitty!

Prior to coming to China, I had literally zero interest in Hello Kitty. Yeah, she's kinda cute but I never gave her much thought. Of course, since landing in the twilight zone, we have been assaulted with Hello Kitty in some way almost daily, so it was inevitable that she would work her way into my subconcious. I find myself liking her more and more and the kids are just nuts for her (yup, teenage boys included there). So it was with great amusment that I saw an article on the rise and popularity of Hello Kitty on The Age website this morning, which included this stellar photo...




Makes the wedding we attended look kinda lame...


I think what I love most is the range of products she features on. We aren't just talking stationery here, but cars, seat covers, linen, food, saucepans shaped like her head (I actually want one of these to make pancakes in), computer accessory, handbags...literally you name it. My friend Al recently sent me photos of AK-47s emblazoned with Hello Kitty, saying surely this couldn't be real. Think again!

This article then lead me to the hello kitty website and this brilliant blog detailing the tortured life of a man whose wife his hello kitty obsessed.

I can't wait to go to Japan!

4 comments:

matt said...

Well then, you've gotta get into Shanghai to see the "Hello Kitty Dream Light Fantasy" Opera then, don't you?

http://sh.piao.com.cn/en_piao/ticket_1440.html

globalvickie said...

I looked at the Hello Kitty blog. Check out "previous page 3": Hello Kitty Antivirus and Firewall Software.
Love it.

Marcus and Courtney said...

Chinatastic!!

Rapt you sent me that link actually, as it has tickets for the Shanghai Masters Cup (Tennis) which I want to go to! Let me know if you and Abby would be up for tennis in Shanghai, 9th November. Tickets are either 580 or 880 RMB (yikes!)

Court.

Marcus and Courtney said...

About time you had a bloody haircut too, jeez!

Marcus